If you wish to bring a meal, please see: Dana – Offering meals at Santi
Needed at present
Below are items that would be useful to the monastery at the moment. This page is updated regularly. Last updated on Tuesday, 28th July 2015.
- Dried Fruits
- Long-life Milk
- Nuts (not peanuts)
- International calling cards
- Lem-sip – for Cold and Flu
- A medium sized wok
- Large ceramic soup bowls
- Spare batteries for Makita Drill – Type: Li-ion BL1815 18v.
- Small Hammer (10 -12 oz) – 2nd hand OK
- Electric Chainsaw – 2nd Hand OK
Food items we currently have plenty of:
- Baked Beans
- White rice
- Bottled water (see below)
- White flour
- Pasta and rice noodles
- Cooking Oil
Non-food items we currently have plenty of:
- White clothing of all kinds
- Blank CDs, blank DVDs, CD & DVD covers (we do not distribute or use CDs or DVDs)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Tooth brushes
- Tooth paste
- Paper Serviettes (napkins)
- Paper plates and cups
- Chemical detergents (see below).
- Dish washing liquid
Entering into the Vassa (Rains) retreat
In this year, the Vassa (Rains) retreat will begin on the full moon day in July (i.e. 30th July 2015), and will end on the full moon day in October (27th October 2015). Traditionally, starting from the Lord Buddha’s time, these three months are called the Rains retreat. In preparation for the rains retreat, we anticipate that the following items would be useful:
- Single Bed Mattresses
- Single-bed size duna (Any kind of duna is fine. However, if you are happy to go for more expensive type, then Alpaca or wool would be much appreciated. They are available at Target).
Santi and the environment
As a forest monastery bordering Morton National Park we strive to minimize our impact on our environment. We support Bundanoon in its “bottled water – free” town campaign – so PLEASE, do not offer bottled water to the monastery. We also refrain from using disposable items such as: plates, cups and cutlery, tea light candles and other materials that harm the environment.
At Santi we have an environmentally friendly greywater system, which cannot handle harsh chemical detergents, so please offer only ‘greywater safe’ laundry detergents.
We appreciate your support in our effort to keep a green monastery.
The Spirit of Dana
Please note that in order to keep alive the spirit of reliance on alms food, we do not use any of the money donated to the monastery on food .
Acts of generosity lead to joy.
Joy leads to peace,
Peace leads to insight,
Insight leads to Liberation.
Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!